Saturday, September 13, 2008

Shenanigans

I think landscape painting in China may be more difficult than i anticipated.  Genetic defects make some predators albino and ruin their chances of survival.  Their prey see them coming from long distances and evade capture.  They usually end up malnourished or die.  I am the awkward albino in this landscape.  I sat out to paint by a temple in front of the water.  I was doing a small landscape painting for about four hours, that should have taken me two.  I think in some odd masochistic way i will miss being the freak show celebrity here.  People's curiosity lead them to me.  To talk, to stare, to ask, to try to befriend.  In a way it is flattering, but unproductive.  It is really difficult to draw in public, when the public is staring at you.  It is a hard to compose when six people ask to take photos with you.  Difficult to concentrate when two people want to be your friend for the sole purpose of practicing their english and seeking information on how to go to the states.  

I smile and abide.

Some photo seekers...

little paintings that keep me occupied...top right is the one i did today

::peace sign and smiles::



3 comments:

Unknown said...

lol! nice! i like the peace sign for the camera. hahaha!

Travis Ott-Conn said...

Luis my friend, do not forget what Dominic said. Don't allow the exoticism of the place to put the ka-bosh on your drive and artistic endeavor. When someone wants a picture, tell them Porkchop Sandwiches. Good luck!

Sam said...

well, I hope you keep at it! I really liked these landscapes :)