Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Internet!

Hey all,

My main source of internet lately has been sitting out on my balcony stealing internet from a neighbor.  It stopped working on Monday and just kicked up again, so I am out on my balcony once again.  We are getting DSL installed in our rooms next week for a more reliable connection.  We have had a wonderful week and have started classes.  Jessica and I are in Studio 1 with Alex and Winnie (Possibly the cutest couple ever).  Studio one is the most traditional oil painting studio in GAFA.  There are five studios total, 1 being the most traditional and 5 being the most contemporary and modern oil painting studio.  Based on the professor's lecture and slide show he made it readily apparent that studying with Yu Ji has instilled the "Northern Style."  Here at GAFA all the students have a high level of technical skill and are very talented.  They draw very smooth and paint with many glazes.  I find their work quite beautiful, but have grown to love what Yu Ji has taught us.  Although i have his teachings in my head, i am here to learn and i am quite excited to try their style.  Our first assignment is a three week long still life.


This is the view from Studio 1...the building at the end are our dorms.  Not to far of a walk.

This is the inside of Studio 1

Professor Xie teaching us how to stretch a canvas.  He is starting us out from the very bottom, and teaching us all the simple details.

Another exciting bit of news is that Jessica and I purchased a washing machine.  It was about 100 dollars and it is now situated between our rooms in the outside hallway.  I am quite excited about having it...because i am lazy and will try to evade washing my clothes by hand.  We bought it used and had to barter with the man, then he kindly delivered it on the back of his motorcycle.

Waiting on the washing machine...

Shrimp vendor on the street

beautiful rubble...

This man has the right idea...

this friend just dropped in out of a tree...

the marquee glowing in my window at night

MY NEW BABY!

I now introduce you to my new love...this is my Holga 120.  It is a cheap plastic 120 mm toy camera.  Its a very simple device that produces pictures with distortion, vignetting, and colored flash goodness.  Since its 120 mm it produces really high quality beautiful photos.  It was initially made in Hong Kong and is still produced here in China.  If you would like to read more about this sweet little piece, then check out:

http://www.lomography.com/holga/

Hasta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Luis,

Hey buddy! I'm so glad to check out your photos and blog entries and see that you are having a good time and helping the Chinese to overtake us in economics. It looks like an amazing adventure and I'm sure there is a lot of fun and work in store for both of you.

Things at CSULB are same as usual: New students all over the place, hot girls, sunshine and me! I've seen just about everyone from the Florence trip and my classes are looking to be fantastic. Trina and I are getting along really well with our living situation and Sam and I are keeping it real, fo shizzle! Life is good. I love you guys and tell Jess I said hello! Peace. -Travis